Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leaders LLRC FT spot on
By Amir Amin
Jan 25th, 2010
A PENALTY taken by Safuan Juhar in the 19th minute was enough to seal the win for league leaders LLRC FT against P Lun Bawang in their DSTGroup Brunei Premier League II (BPL II) match at the Berakas Sports Complex in Berakas yesterday.
Mohd Shah Hafiz Kipli was brought down in the box and the referee did not hesitate to point to the spot.
Lun Bawang goalkeeper, Pirit Apo, dived to his left, misjudging Safuan’s spot kick which was aimed at the bottom left corner.
The coach of LLRC FT, Hj Affandi Hj Julaihi, was relieved to score the slim victory.
“It was a very tight match. We could have been two or three goals up though as we missed some good chances.
“However, we didn’t waste the penalty and we got the one goal lead which we were able to defend for the whole match.”
LLRC FT have only two matches left, against Kilanas FC and Menglait, and should be able to gain promotion into the DSTGroup Brunei Premier League I should they win one of these two matches.
They were last season beaten in the promotion race by BPL II champions AM Gunners FC.
Having learnt from that experience, the coach is not going to take any chances this season.
“Instead of trying to win only one match, we will aim for two. We’re not going to take any chance as (third place) Lun Bawang have games in hand and we don’t want to regret being overtaken by them because of goal difference,” said Hj Affandi.
It was a tightly contested affair on the field with both teams struggling to find the back of the net.
Lun Bawang found themselves caught in LLRC FT’s offside traps throughout the match while LLRC FT kept their defence tight, not allowing Lun Bawang any good shots on goal aside from corner kicks.
One of the few good chances that Lun Bawang had on goal came late in the first half. A cross from Zaimi Awat from the right found Yunus Lupat in the box. The striker outjumped everybody else but could not put enough power into his header to beat LLRC FT goalkeeper, Md Fakhrul Amin Sanif, who saved comfortably.
Md Bahrin Hj Sahari, the LLRC FT’s skipper, was unable to guide the ball into the net from a corner delivered by Md Khairul Azri Hj Bujang to extend their lead in the second half.
LLRC FT then again wasted a good chance which started when they conceded a freekick late in the match. Yunus unleashed a shot that Md Fakhrul had to parry. It led to a counter by LLRC FT with only two Lun Bawang defenders and three LLRC FT players in the box, but the delivery from the right was poor and the chance was wasted.
Lun Bawang tried hard to find the equaliser taking the last chance in the match when Zaimi Awat took a powerful shot aimed at the upper left corner from outside the box.
But Md Fakhrul was again up to the challenge stretching to save and giving LLRC FT the win as the referee blew the whistle to signal the end of the match.
Two other BPL II matches were played yesterday.
Perkasa showed their prowess by beating bottom dwellers Kota Ranger 5-1 at Balapan Track and Field.
Perkasa’s Awang Zulhirni scored a hat-trick while Md Saiful and Saifuny also got on the scoresheet with a goal each.
Md Bohari scored a penalty in the 48th minute for Ranger’s only goal.
Second place Prisons Department won 3-0 against Brunei Youth Team in the only match of the night.

The Brunei Times


blogger templates | Make Money Online